NTU and Hwa Chong host First International Science Youth Forum: 3 Nobel Laureates to engage 82 students from across Asia
1. Hwa Chong Institution (HCI) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) are pleased to co-organise the 1st International Science Youth Forum @ Singapore 2009 (ISYF) from 19 to 23 January 2009.
2. Three Nobel Laureates, Sir Anthony Leggett (2003 Physics), Professor Douglas D. Osheroff (1996 Physics), and Professor Kurt Wuthrich (2002 Chemistry) will deliver keynote addresses and engage students in dialogues and discussions (see ANNEX A for their biographies and Forum schedule).
3. The forum, which is also held in conjunction with HCI’s 90th Anniversary celebrations, brings together 82 outstanding science students and 28 science educators from 25 secondary schools and junior colleges in China, Hong Kong (SAR), Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, and Singapore (see ANNEX B for Programme and participating schools).
4. Senior Minister of State for Education & Information, Communications & the Arts RAdm Lui Tuck Yew, will give the Welcome Address on 19 January (Monday) at HCI’s Clock Tower Auditorium at 8am. Mr Lim Chuan Poh, Chairman of the Agency for Science, Technology & Research (A*STAR) will give the Closing Address on 23 January. The theme of the Forum is: Science and the Ever-changing Environment.
QUOTES FROM ISYF ORGANIZERS & PARTNERS
Supported by Ministry of Education
5. Mdm Low Khah Gek, Director of Curriculum Planning and Development Division, Ministry of Education (MOE), noted how “The ISYF provides students in Asia a unique opportunity to engage in dialogue with Nobel Laureates. The discussions will focus not only on the content of their research, but also the humanistic aspect of science. As the students gain a better appreciation of the relationship between scientific work and social values, they would pursue science both for new knowledge and for new possibilities to improve mankind.”
Organizer: Nanyang Technological University
6. Added Professor K K Phua, Director, Institute of Advanced Studies, Nanyang Technological University, “The ISYF provides a platform for the establishment of close ties among schools from Asia. This facilitates future collaborations among these institutions of learning. It is due to the good working relationship between NTU and HCI, with the support of MOE, that we have forged numerous win-win partnerships, such as jointly organising this inaugural Forum. Only with such synergy can Science be propelled to greater heights.”
7. NTU is also pleased to leverage its excellent international linkages in the academic world to bring together the 3 Nobel Laureates and other eminent scientists to the Forum. The organisers are certain that students and educators attending the Forum will be able to benefit from their rich life experiences and be inspired in their passion and quest for scientific knowledge and excellence.
Organizer: Hwa Chong Institution
8. Said Hwa Chong’s CEO/Principal Ang Wee Hiong: “The inaugural Forum aims to create greater awareness of the need to have broad-based knowledge, passion, and a global perspective in the pursuit of scientific excellence. In the coming week, the youth will have ample opportunity to engage some of the best minds in Science.” He added: “The Nobel Laureates and eminent scientists will share their passion for Science, and I am sure our young scientists will be greatly inspired to pursue scientific careers for the good of humanity.”
Main Sponsor: Temasek Foundation
9. "Temasek Foundation is pleased to support the inaugural International Science Youth Forum in Singapore. We hope that the forum will be a platform to encourage youth across Asia to continue networking, sharing ideas and knowledge, and collaborate on more science projects in future," said Mr Benedict Cheong, Chief Executive Officer, Temasek Foundation.
Co- Sponsor: ASEAN, BASF South East Asia Pte Ltd
10. "This first International Science Youth Forum is an excellent platform for education and experience exchanges within scientific disciplines between future talent and proven experts. BASF is proud to be part of this event to bring science closer to the community. This aligns well with one of our core values, being sustainable development," said Mr John Fastier, Managing Director for ASEAN, BASF South East Asia Pte Ltd.
11. The inaugural ISYF is jointly organised by HCI, and the Institute of Advanced Studies, Nanyang Technological University, with support from the Ministry of Education. Visit HCI’s website for programme highlights and details of the various activities: www3.hci.edu.sg/isyf/
For further queries, please contact:
Hwa Chong Institution
Tel: 6468-3955 x 202
Corporate Communications Office
Nanyang Technological University
Tel: 6790 6447
Liew Pei Li (Ms)
Hwa Chong Institution
For the Chinese Press, please contact:
Dr Tan Mei Leng
Tel: 6468-3956 x 37